Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why This Blog?

I decided to start this blog as a conservative after studying the actions of our current Attorney General and being concerned about what I learned. Unlike some of his critics, I'm proud to be a conservative, and I've been proud to support Republican candidates for public office.

However, the 2008 election demonstrated something to me as a conservative. It showed that when conservatives do not remain true to their principles and refuse to uphold their convictions when challenged, they will lose, and lose badly. Our candidate for President, our candidates for Congress, and our candidates for the US Senate all lost because they refused to defend core conservative values such as belief in the free market, belief in limited government, belief in responsible spending, and belief in traditional cultural values. I believe conservatives can re-claim electoral victories by reclaiming these principles, not running from them.

Reclaiming our conservative values begins with the elections closest to home, which for me means Alabama. As many folks focus on the excitement of a Governor's race, I'm looking at the Attorney General's office. This position is one of the most confusing positions in our state, but it is also one of the most important. AG opinions regularly impact state law regarding economic development and gambling, and the AG can also set direction in many important areas of public policy. On top of that, the AG is the state's representative in court, which means that he or she represents us, Alabama residents and taxpayers, in courts of law. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty important.

I've decided to write this blog because I believe it's important for Alabama conservatives to begin speaking out. So much of what you read about this office comes from blogs on the left, and I want to provide conservatives with a voice. I personally hold true the value of accountability, and I write this blog in hopes that AG King will have to answer to the people of Alabama in 2010 for his repeated ethical lapses, questionable opinions, political grandstanding, and leadership errors. Instead of dealing in rumors or political musings, I will attempt to analyze and present the hard facts of AG King's record, and the reasons he falls short of being the "conservative" he claims to be in his campaign messages.

I welcome your questions, comments, and thoughts and hope that you will follow along in this attempt to find the truth. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't claim to be one. I'm really just an Alabamian concerned about the direction of our AG's office.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are on to something. Economically speaking, if 100% of Alabama's economy is committed in the economic pie chart, what part of the economy will be shorted through legalized gambling? Health, education, entertainment, food, housing, savings. Financial expenditures toward gambling have to come from something already sliced out of our personal economic pie. Troy King has been a disappointment, and the taxpayers just paid his legal tab for investigations into his office and some of his questionable actions. It's time for an AG with integrity to lead our top legal office.

    ReplyDelete